Saturday, November 10, 2007

To live...

Diwali brought with it the exuberance of celebration and a reminder that we can be civil to each other in the name of festivity. Is it just me? Am I the only one holding my head in my hands wishing I could vanish off the planet?

I love life. I love living. But every day that I live, a part of me painfully reminds me that my life is getting more and more disconnected from Nature. I pass the malls being constructed close to home and I dread the day they will be open to the public. I dread having to choose to enter those malls for the sheer convenience they offer me. I dread that I, who adore Nature, will be shopping in hundreds of square kilometers of concrete luxury that now stands where a forest once thrived.

Can I really be a part of this city and not its systems?

Sigh. This is why the act of living has become painful. One makes so many conscious choices knowing full well the damage one is causing or supporting.

I don’t want to squash the part in me that feels the pain. I don’t want to cover it in a blanket and throw it into the deepest recesses of my unconscious, where I will never access it this life time. I want to keep it alive because only when it is alive do I feel I am in tune with life. Only when it is alive do I feel connected to every living being and the Universe. Only when it is alive do I feel the wonder of being part of such spectacular creation.

I admire the architectural wonders we have created in this age – the glass covered buildings, luxurious palaces of shops – they are beautiful too. But there is a haunting sound that grows louder each decade…it feels like the planet is close to explosion point… we are taking too much for granted. Way too much …

No comments: