Wednesday, October 29, 2008

Nightingale



For 6 months now I have discovered the great joy of listening to Norah Jones as I drive through the busy streets of Delhi. In the endless jams, born of the grand movement of VIPs this city is blessed with, I am now a happier person. Its just me crooning with Norah to Nightingale and Sunrise and Toes, much to the surprise of occupants of other cars around me. Its not everyday you see a woman singing her heart out in a traffic jam.


I truly find the songs delicious - slight twists here and there, like alleys down a quaint Italian town, that you learn to memorise the more you use them every day. No grand harmonics and incessant organs or pumping rhythm. No intricate melodies or mind-boggling percussion. Just simple, basic, uncomplicated singing. Every note is hit perfectly (much to my relief...as I spend most of my time cringing to western music when the artists fall short of those precise sounds) and her voice, louder than everything else - yet husky enough to embrace the accompanying guitars and piano.
I never thought I'd be a jazz enthusiast...but Norah's music is a flavour I decidedly like, and am going to savour for a long time to come.

1 comment:

Eye of the Needle said...

Try and catch the latest fusion sound between her and Anoushka